How to keep yourself safe from new coronavirus?
To prevent catching the infection, here's what you can do:
1. Wear masks outdoors
• Wearing a mask is one of the most effective ways to protect you from getting infected as the virus is predominantly spread in droplets.
• Make sure to wear it properly by tightening up the nose clip and pulling the bottom of it over your chin so that your nose and mouth are both covered.
• If you're not feeling well or have symptoms such as cough, fever, fatigue and trouble breathing, a mask is also needed to prevent you from spreading viruses to others.
• Surgical masks used by medical workers are not recommended for common people as they may lead to oxygen deficient if worn for long periods.
2. Cover your coughs and sneezes with tissue
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or you can cough or sneeze into your sleeve, but avoid covering with your hands directly.
(A healthy adult can release around 300,000 microbes including bacteria and viruses when coughing or sneezing.)
3. Wash your hands frequently and properly
Wash your hands with soap and running water thoroughly for at least 15 seconds, especially:
• Before eating and after using the toilet
• After returning home
• After touching trash or garbage
• After contacting with animals or handling animal wastes
4. Strengthen your immune system and exercise regularly
• Exercise regularly is one of the most important ways to help you stay away from catching any infections.
• Make sure that shared spaces have good air flow and avoid going to crowded places such as hospitals, railway stations and airports. Wear a mask if transport or movement is necessary.
• Seek prompt medical attention if you have symptoms of fever and respiratory infection.
• Avoid close contact with people who have flu or cold-like symptoms.
• Eat thoroughly cooked meat and eggs. Avoid contact with wild animals or farmed livestock without any protection.